PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to RC 3

judoka
11-19-2007, 05:59 PM
ok after searching and reading for over 4 1/2 hours with no luck finding an answer to my question I quess I have no choice but to ask my question. I would like to purchase a new template for my active shop but beforing doing that I would like to upgrade my site from osmax 1.7 to RC3. I have been searching for over 4 1/2 hours to see if this can be done and what is required and how much work will it be to do this upgrade. I have not don't any php work since I last did my shop a couple of years ago and don't have much time these days to relearn everything again so any help would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know if there is a how-to or a step by step on how to upgrade from 1.7 to RC3?
Thank guys.

psylencer
11-09-2008, 06:05 PM
ok after searching and reading for over 4 1/2 hours with no luck finding an answer to my question I quess I have no choice but to ask my question. I would like to purchase a new template for my active shop but beforing doing that I would like to upgrade my site from osmax 1.7 to RC3. I have been searching for over 4 1/2 hours to see if this can be done and what is required and how much work will it be to do this upgrade. I have not don't any php work since I last did my shop a couple of years ago and don't have much time these days to relearn everything again so any help would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know if there is a how-to or a step by step on how to upgrade from 1.7 to RC3?
Thank guys.

My advice. If you don't know what your doing. Don't. A lot has changed between versions. THings like register globals etc.

Most templates out there are really old. First of all, you'll have trouble finding the code you need to change if you don't know what you're doing, then if you do get it to work, you're going to run into trouble installing additional contribs etc.

My only advice is to identify what it is about RC3 that you want, list the features of importance and look for contribs which can be installed on the version the template is in.

Most of the templates out there are quite generic and have been abused a million times. Much better to spend the time designing your own.

I did; check olinstyle.com It really wasn't that hard once I had the main page done, and you'll learn a lot about PHP in the process.

judoka
11-09-2008, 07:52 PM
My advice. If you don't know what your doing. Don't. A lot has changed between versions. THings like register globals etc.

Most templates out there are really old. First of all, you'll have trouble finding the code you need to change if you don't know what you're doing, then if you do get it to work, you're going to run into trouble installing additional contribs etc.

My only advice is to identify what it is about RC3 that you want, list the features of importance and look for contribs which can be installed on the version the template is in.

Most of the templates out there are quite generic and have been abused a million times. Much better to spend the time designing your own.

I did; check olinstyle.com It really wasn't that hard once I had the main page done, and you'll learn a lot about PHP in the process.

Sorry but this post is only a year old. I have already figure it out. It took some work but my site has been up for some time now. thanks for the advice but better late than never I guess.

michael_s
11-10-2008, 07:48 AM
A note to all others who would post a reply to a thread that is dormant for close to a year: don't do it. We lock all posts after 12 months to prevent this.

If you feel like you have to post on the subject, please open a new thread.

psylencer
11-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I was replying to a post that was on the FIRST page of the support thread. You guys need to do your job as administrators and delete posts which are too old. Is it not an easy mistake to make to reply to a post on the front page of a forum.

Perhaps this is why no-one visist this place and threads on the front page of your "topic" are nearly a year old. I'll certainly not help out here again, if this is the kind of crap I have to deal with. FOr the benefit of others this is what your moderator sent me yesterday :

Ah....Old threads? Only on the first page and only unanswered ones. I think you may have got the wrong person. I have not asked any unrelated questions here.

The only time I would ask a question with OSC is to help someone else out. Which was what I was doing.

You seem to have completely missed the point of help forums. In general.

Please answer me this: which creates more mess on your beloved forum?

Ist it A) 2 questions asked with one response?
or B) 1 Question asked and 1 Response?

Answering an old unanswered question surely only improves the quality of the content within your forums.

And for the record. I DID answer all the questions I could/be bothered to answer on your forums.

Never the less, quite obviously I did not realize this was an old post. Perhaps it should not have been on the front page of OSCMAX Discussions. Ever heard of purge? Generally the responsibility of a sysop or moderator.

How the hell did a flamer such as yourself manage to moderate a forum?

Let me guess. Flaming people and writing a bunch of useless unhelpful, counter productive posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf
Love the enthusiasm. However you don't need to revive all the 6 month old to almost year old threads. Most of the time if no one responds - cause they did not supply enough data/info or not descriptive enough title. Or many times - reinstalled and works again then does not update their threads.

How many times have I said in some form "we need more info....to help you." in a topic and never receive an update.

I personally can't be a hawk and read every one and respond - there are many I do not - cause I know nothing about that area (or don't need to dive in every time - or just don't have the time).

I don't want to stop you but please remember to keep it relevant and try working with the more recent topics. (At lease you ADD to the thread, not asking another unrelated question like alot of people do... :wink: )

Again WELCOME and enjoy.

michael_s
11-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Hey, just look at the date on the post before replying. Simple enough. It is right at the top of every single post on the forum. We know you didn't realize it was an old post, thus the friendly reminder to check the dates. Not singling you out, which is why I posted "A note to all others"

Also note the forum you posted in is osCMax 1.7 - it does not get a lot of posts anymore, since it has been replaced by osCMax 2.0x forums for about 3 years now. That would be why a post that is a year old is still on the v1.7 front page - not a lot of traffic there, as there are not a lot of users.