PDA

View Full Version : Downloadable Product Setup

ativan
11-22-2002, 06:57 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how to deal with downloadable products for sale (they are also available on CD so it's dual). I've been searching in the other forums but the topic gives very wide results. Would anyone like to give a few *basic* pointers on how to set up a product that allows shipping and download? I read a paragraph in the guide about the permissions and set the cart config to allow downloads. That's about where I stand. Even a post you know of from before where this is answered would be great. I swear I am going to contribute to the docs before this is over! Also, what is the /pub folder for exactly? Thanks.

PS: I haven't installed any mods yet as I wanted to figure out the basics first.

David

modom
11-25-2002, 05:51 AM
Hi,

I found this on the other forum:

>>>If you have defined your download file in attributes, now just upload the file to the /download directory. Make sure the /download is set to 755 and the /public to 777

Also be sure that your spelling is identical and it is case sensative.
>>>

I played with this before. I know you put the download product in the download directory. I believe the pub directory is where it's seen or something like that.

Not much help I know...will try to test it again.

modom
11-25-2002, 07:24 AM
Here is what I found out:

1) put the product in the catalog.
2) put the download zip in the download folder
3) in the attributes section of the admin while you setup that product as an attribute there is a listing below that says:
Filename: Expiry days: Maximum download count:
You would set this for the download and list the name of the zip download.

In the admin under "configuration" and "download" you need to enable the download process, set how many downloads, and how many days to download.

Hope this helps!

underthecovers
12-11-2002, 06:06 PM
modom:

u seem to know whats going on and god knows I don't
perhaps u can answer this

I am trying to upgrade an installation for the specific reason of allowing downloads.

Now i read what you said but I am confused, I can find no entry in the products for a filename for a particular product

how do I tell it what zip file to look for?
and bonus question
because the download is in a public directory ie : catalog/downloads
what is to stop users from simply downloading via the url ?

If I change permissions the webserver wont be able to access it to serve it to the user ?

modom
12-13-2002, 08:57 AM
Hi,

I don't know if I know what's going on but am trying hard! :D

Let's start at the beginning.

You log into your admin area.
Put your product in the catalog contents section.
In the "products/attributes" section you will put this new product in and add a download attribute to it.

If you have downloads enabled in admin/configuration/download you will see 3 boxes below the new product you are going to put in the "products/attributes" section in admin.
: Filename: Expiry days: Maximum download count:

Set this up according to your configuration in "configuration/download" in the admin area.

Put your product that the customer is going to download into the catalog/download folder.

When the product is bought you will be at this page to see the download at the bottom of the page:
http://www.mdesigns.biz/catalog/checkout_success.php

The actual url is:
http://www.mdesigns.biz/catalog/download.php?order=10&id=6

If anyone tries to even copy that url to try to download again it will give you a totally blank page.

In-Overtime
03-11-2004, 07:00 PM
What if the customer pays thru PayPal, then comes back the next day?

Where will the link be to access the download?

michael_s
03-11-2004, 08:14 PM
In-Overtime, Did you see that this thread is almost 2 years old...??? You should also not post the same question in 3 different threads. It just makes it more difficult to get an answer, and I get annoyed reading 2 year old posts...;)

Read the download controller docs. It tells how to set it up and how to use it.

In-Overtime
03-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Apologies - I run SEO brain matter. Since I ran across these posts using the search feature, I was hoping that it may help someone else later on. Advice and answers to problems are timeless. . .

But I will refrain. You have been an awesome guru for us. Thanks!