PDA

View Full Version : Plain out-of-box UPS Shipping Method default option

Autoegocrat
08-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi all,

Sorry about posting in the UPS XML category, but I didn't see a section for the plain ups module. I'm using the one that comes with OSCMax.

Anyway, I would like to set it so that the option that is selected by default is Ground shipping, as opposed to the highest price option - which is how it sorts now.

Why some people don't pay attention to what shipping option they are going with (or how much the total is!) is beyond me. Because of this, I get a lot of calls asking to switch the method to ground, and a refund for the difference.

I've looked at ups.php, checkout_shipping.tpl.php, and shipping.tpl.php, but I'm not really sure where I need to be on this.

Any pointers?

Oh, and as a bonus question - My UPS module does not correctly calculate for the "remote" delivery upcharge which is $2.20. I don't understand why, because it is getting the quotes from ups themselves. It doesn't really make sense to me, so for now I have just added a charge onto shipping to counterbalance the charges that are being missed. It seems like 1 out of every 4 orders are considered a remote delivery area. Is there a better way to fix this rather than making the "non-remote" customers cover the expense?

Auto

michael_s
08-08-2007, 08:19 AM
The plain ups module is deprecated, that is why there is no forum for it. UPS XML is a replacement and should always be used instead of the old module.

I have not even looked at the old module in over a year ;)

Any particular reason you are not using the more current, and quite frankly , better, UPS XML shipping module?

Autoegocrat
08-08-2007, 09:00 AM
I just didn't have the need for dimension support, and the basic UPS was just "turn on and go". I never really explored the other module because it appeared that the plain UPS module did everything I needed.

I suppose I'm not familiar with the real advantages of UPS XML. Would that also fix the $2.20 charge problem?...and perhaps allow me to select the default shipping method?

As always, thanks for the swift reply.

Auto

michael_s
08-08-2007, 10:04 AM
The ups xml module is also turn-on and go. Dimensional support is disabled by default, or at least should be.

Turn it on and test it out. That is the best way to get a feel for what it does.

If you haven't done it already, install xampp on your computer so you can then set up a development copy of your store that you can test features without affecting your live site...